Thursday, October 16, 2014

Young Lives

For almost a year now Ive been involved in Young Lives.  It is an amazing program!!!  In a nut shell the program takes teen moms and gives them a mentor to support and love on them.  When I heard about this program my friend from college and I had just reconnected.  She was helping with Young Lives and posted on Facebook that they were looking for people to volunteer.  I decided to check it out.  I fell in love instantly!  I was wondering at the time where God was calling me.  I had tried getting involved in many areas at our new church and all doors kept closing.  I understand why now.  At the first event I went to I saw Natasha.  My first thought was she looked like my sister Trisha.  Then I noticed she was quiet, shy, a little bit of a hard shell to crack. I came home and told Bryan, "Im going to make that girl love me.  I feel like God wants me to."  And I did just that.  I found ways to talk to her, I helped her with her son Carter, and I put myself out there.  I ended up becoming her mentor and guess what???? She ended up loving me :) haha! Its been months now and we were talking about all this in the car the other day.  She looked at me and said, "you know right before you came I was thinking of not going to Young Lives anymore.  I felt like I had no friends and I wasn't connecting with anyone." And that is why GOD is so good.  He knew what He was doing.  He put us together not only for her but for me.  I love this lady and her baby.  Im so proud of her and the woman she is.  She is going to college, just got a job, a drivers license, and kicking butt at being a mom!!! She makes me laugh and is my coffee partner! We got to go to camp this last summer together.  It is the BEST camp ever.  They really go all out for these teens.  During camp I got the privilege to pray with Natasha to accept Christ!! I now get to walk this part of her life with her.  My kids love Carter and her.  Carter says my name. He is the cutest! Sometimes you meet some one who changes your life.  Sometimes you find something that speaks to your heart.  Natasha and Young Lives is that for me.  




1 comment: