Monday, July 15, 2013

Results

Drain tube is out!!  Im very happy about that.  Feels so good not to have that any more.  I also got my results today.  I had Hashimoto disease.  It is now gone since they removed my thyroid.  My parathyroid's looked abnormal when the dct was doing surgery but they came back cancer free.  Awesome news!  However, he did end up removing 2 and half of them.  I will be on calcium for the rest of my life.  He said it is like diabetes in finding the right balance but much more fickled.  I have had some numbness and tingling from it so we have increased my calcium dosage.  Once the 1 and half parathyroids I still have come out of shock from surgery it should help.  I also have papillary thyroid cancer.  It was found in my thyroid.  It had also spread to my lymph nodes.  The dct took out a total of 13 nodes and 7 of them were cancerous.  The good news is that all of it is thyroid cancer.  There was a lot more then anyone thought but it all is the same kind.  Now we move ahead.  My stitches will come out on Wed.  Im slowly starting the diet today.  I have an appt with the oncologist on the 24th.  We will check my levels of iodine and see how much longer/intense we have to go with the diet.  Then I will get the radioactive treatment.  Which when all said and done should leave me 100 percent thyroid cancer free :)
WOW!  My body and emotions are in shock.  Im like a roller coaster, up and down.  I feel so relived and happy that all of it was thyroid cancer and not any other kind of cancer. Im happy I had Hashimoto disease because now the symptoms from that will go away.  It makes me tired and I feel overwhelmed just thinking of the road ahead.  Seems like a pretty long journey to get to the end.  Im grateful it was nothing worse but not looking forward to the life changes I will have for the rest of my life.  Baby steps is what the dct said.  Just take it in baby steps.
I like this verse I got in a card from a friend.
Be strong and let your heart take courage, all you who hope in The Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so glad the results came back that it was just thyroid cancer and no other kind. Very good news! Praying for you as you continue to walk through this and make adjustments. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete